Thursday, June 13, 2013

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler Review

(Photo credit: goodreads.com)
 
          They say never to judge a book by its cover… but I just couldn’t help myself with this one! The cover drew me in. It is seriously one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen. At first, I expected this to be a light summer novel. With the title and the cute cover, I expected it to be about girls who go on vacation and meet boys. You know, your typical summer romance. However, after reading it, I can say this is definitely not your typical summer novel.
           Twenty Boy Summer follows Anna. Anna has always had a crush on her best friend Frankie’s older brother, Matt. When Matt kisses her on her fifteenth birthday, they secretly start dating. Matt decides that he will tell Frankie about his relationship with Anna when he and Frankie go on vacation to Zanzibar Bay. However, this never happens—before they go on vacation, Matt dies from a heart condition that nobody knew about.
            Thirteen months later, Frankie is still in the dark about Anna and Matt’s relationship and Anna is still not over Matt’s death. When Frankie asks Anna to go to Zanzibar Bay, she proposes that they meet 20 different boys to have the ‘Absolute Best Summer Ever.’ Anna is hesitant to agree with Frankie’s plan, but when she does she does not expect to fall in love or confront Matt’s death for good. 
            Twenty Boy Summer is beautifully written. Unlike most young adult novels, Twenty Boy Summer is not full of designer references, mean girls, or vampires. Instead, Ockler crafts a nearly perfect story full of love and heartbreak that left me experiencing the same emotions as the characters in the story. I seriously NEVER cry when reading books or watching movies. However, this book made me tear up quite a few times. Be prepared to go through a box of tissues on one page and laugh out loud on the next!
            However, what makes this novel so special are the characters. Each character has a different personality and deals with death in a different way. I could easily relate to many of the characters, and I don’t think anyone else would have much trouble either since there is such a variety.
            Even though I loved all the characters, Matt is definitely one of my favorites of the bunch . While he is only in the book for the first few chapters, the flashbacks that are sprinkled throughout the rest of the novel make you fall in love with him just as Anna did. However, the only downside to this is that I did not like Anna’s summer fling, Sam, as much as I loved Matt.
            The only bad part in Twenty Boy Summer is Frankie’s parents’ case of ‘missing parent syndrome.’ Even though Frankie says that they pick and choose what they want to hear, it becomes increasingly unbelievable that her parents never know about her and Anna’s true whereabouts. Throughout the novel, Frankie and Anna venture off on their own, even as far as San Francisco which is two hours away, and Frankie’s parents do not catch onto their lying. While it allows the characters to have a wild and care-free summer, it just comes off as unbelievable.
           Although the cover suggests that Twenty Boy Summer is an easy beach read, it is not a light novel and can be enjoyed anytime of the year.
Disclaimer: I borrowed Twenty Boy Summer from the library (but I need to own it because it is one of my favorite books!). I am not being compensated for this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!


No comments:

Post a Comment