Saturday, June 15, 2013

Private by Kate Brian (Private #1) Review

(Photo: fantasticfiction.co.uk)
 
Going into Private by Kate Brian, I did not have very high expectations. Despite negative reviews, I still hoped that the Private series would be a guilty pleasure like reality TV shows on MTV. However, after reading Private, I can say that I will most likely not continue with the series as I despise almost every single character in the novel.
            Private follows sophomore Reed Brennan as she transfers from boring Pennsylvania to the super exclusive and elite Easton Academy. With a fresh new start, Reed hopes to evolve from her former friendless self into a social butterfly. And her in? The beautiful and rich Billings Girls that rule the school. Reed will do anything to be their friend. But, is it worth the cost? (Here’s a hint, Reed—NO.)
            There is not much that I liked about this book, but the worst part is Reed. She is absolutely pathetic. No matter how nasty the Billings Girls treat her, she follows them around like a little lost puppy and does anything to please them, no matter what the cost. Even though they completely humiliate her, she thinks the torture is worth it. Why? She’ll have “friends.” She thinks that the Billings Girls are her only way to make friends. Um, hello? What about her nice (although somewhat superficial) roommate, Constance? Yeah, Constance has her flaws, but at least she does not force Reed to steal a physics test!
            Now, I have never read the Clique series, but I have seen the movie. Those girls have nothing on the Billings Girls. Massie Block (at least in the movie version) is no where near as manipulative and cruel as Noelle, who continuously demeans everyone around her and is just plain nasty. Noelle is truly an ugly person and her friends aren’t much better. They will do literally anything to please her, and it’s disgusting. I could not even muster an ounce of sympathy for the ones that I was suppose to like. Their behavior is so ridiculously mean that it actually made me dislike Reed even more because she wanted to be just like them (and, at times, truly does behave just like them).
            I hated, hated, HATED Thomas. Cute “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift right now, please. His relationship with Reed is downright disturbing. Not only is he an alcoholic and drug dealer, but I am convinced he is a complete PSYCHO as well. He manipulates Reed. One minute he “loves” her and the next he is bashing his fist into a wall than he is begging for her forgiveness. Multiple times he says, “You can’t do this. You love me.” At one point, he even says, “You have to love ALL of me” (when they are discussing his drug dealing habits). THIS BEHAVIOR IS NOT HEALTHY. Yeah, you should like your partner, flaws and all. But, if these flaws consistent of serious creep-o behavior, then RUN AWAY. However, little clueless Reed doesn’t do this. She falls for his act... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
            To me, the most disturbing part of this book is when Thomas literally makes Reed fall and hurt herself. But, get this—Reed is perfectly OKAY with this. WHAT? WHY? Oh, wait, it’s because the Billings Girls finally accept her. No, just no. This is not OKAY. This is abusive and just plain wrong. This justifies abuse as a way to gain a friendship and that just does not sit well with me.
            The only “positive” about Private is that the ending sets up a mystery for the next novel. But, that’s only a plus if (SPOILER) you care about Thomas’ mysterious disappearance.
            Which I did not. I actually cheered.
 
 
Disclaimer: I borrowed Private from the library. I am not being compensated for this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment