Saturday, June 15, 2013

Breanna Blabbers: My Favorite/Least Favorite Books and Plays That I Read In School

                                        

 
Since I am no longer a high school student (yay!), I thought it would be fun to discuss my favorite and least favorite books that I ever read in middle school and high school. So, here it goes:

 
Favorite:

  1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- Who doesn’t love The Great Gatsby? I loved the characters in this story!
  2. Animal Farm by George Orwell- I always thought this book was so clever in how it is an allegory for the Russian Revolution.
  3. Macbeth by William Shakespeare- I love Shakespeare, especially Macbeth. It’s one of my favorites of his plays!
  4. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams- I love the characters in this play! Some people may dislike Blanche, but I love how crazy she is.
  5. Emma by Jane Austen- I chose this book for a semester research paper. I love the movie Clueless, so I had been wanting to read this for quite some time. I love this book! It is one of my favorites.

Least Favorite:

  1. The Light In The Forest by Conrad Richter- I don’t think that I even finished this book. All I can really remember is that I knew it was downhill from “The boy was fifteen.” (I believe that is the first sentence).
  2. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison- I didn’t like any of the characters and there was symbolism overkill. I’m fine with symbolism, but I swear every piece of grass had a greater meaning.
  3. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad- This just isn’t my type of book. The post colonialism topic was interesting and I liked Kurtz’s character, but other than that, I did not enjoy reading this book.
  4. Moby Dick by Herman Melville- This book is even worse than Invisible Man when it comes to symbolism and allusions. I felt like I had to research every line to really get the book, so it took away from the overall reading experience. However, I did enjoy the musical my friends made based on the story.
  5. The Tempest by William Shakespeare- I love Shakespeare, but this particular play really didn’t do it for me. The plot wasn’t very interesting to me. Out of the plays I have read by Shakespeare, The Tempest and Julius Caesar are my least favorites by far.
What books did you like/dislike reading in high school? Sound off in the comments below!
 
Disclaimer: I am not being compensated for this blabber. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment