Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Freebie

Top Ten Tuesday is created by the blog, The Broke and the Bookish. This week's 'Top Ten' was Top Ten Tuesday Freebie, or anything that you want. I chose to do the Top Ten Books That Disappointed Me.

This is my first time doing a Top Ten Tuesday!

1. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
       I love all of Sarah Dessen's books. I still enjoyed this book; however, I was slightly disappointed as I felt it wasn't on par with some of her other novels. It just felt as if it was missing something and the secondary characters weren't as memorable to me as characters in her previous novels. I still like this book, but simply not as much as her other ones.

2. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
       Since this book recieved so many rave reviews, I was sure that I would like it to. However, after reading it, I was majorly disappointed, as I didn't like it at all! I didn't like the characters, I didn't like the plot, and I didn't like the romance. I don't know why, but this one just didn't do it for me.

3. The Selection by Kiera Cass
     When described as a mixture of The Hunger Games and The Bachelor, I expected tons of drama, catfights, and some dystopian elements. What I got out of The Selection was an unlikeable heroine, a stupid love triangle (I'm not a total love triangle hater, but I did not particularly enjoy this one), and an extremely awkward prince. Not a fan at all.

4. Matched by Ally Condie
       This book had so many great reviews that I was sure that I would love it. I like it, but I do not love it. I appreciate Condie's writing style, but it didn't completely blow my mind. I also was not entirely impressed with the series as a whole either.

Click here for my review on the Matched Trilogy.

5. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
      I literally wanted to read this book forever. So, imagine my disappointment when it did not meet my expectations. I enjoyed the geocaching element and the characters were decent. But, it just was not what I wasn't expecting and I didn't find it as great as other readers described. It is still a good book, but my expectations were a bit too high.

6. The Lying Game by Sara Shepard 
      I enjoyed watching Pretty Little Liars on TV when it first came out (I stopped watching for a few episodes and never caught up so I stopped watching it)and my mom was a fan of The Lying Game series so I caught a few episodes. While I like the book better than the show, I expected lots of drama out of this, but I just did not like it. Much of the drama is pointless and I didn't feel like I was on the edge of my seat as I was while watching Pretty Little Liars. I think the book would be more interesting and mysterious if Emma narrated rather than Sutton. 

7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
      I love The Hunger Games. The first two books were amazing, so I expected the third to be amazingly awesome as well. But... It was just average. For me, it moved slow and wasn't nearly as good as the others in the series.

8. Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
      I love Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries series and many of her other books. Out of all her books, this is by far my least favorite. Although I liked parts of the book, I didn't like the protagonist. I couldn't really connect with her. For me, this is a huge disappointment from Cabot since I typically love and relate to her protagonists.

9. The Juliet Club by Suzanne Harper
      I wrote a letter to Juliet and even got a response, so this plot intrigued me. However, this book wasn't what I was expecting at all. I enjoyed the setting, but other than that, it left much to be desired, which is sad because it had a lot of potential.

10. Take A Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
      I really enjoyed The Lonely Hearts Club. It's funny, empowering, and just plain fun to read. So, it was a no-brainer to pick up Take A Bow. However, I was not impressed. It was just an average book and nothing really stands out from the book for me.

Disclaimer: I am not being compensated for this article in any way. All thoughts and opinions are my own!

4 comments:

  1. Good list, although I'm curious did you ever read The Lying Games books because I find the books to quite exciting but I find the tv show to be boring so I would say don't judge the book by the show because the books are better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! It does sound like I am talking about the TV show rather than the book. I'll have to fix that! I agree that the book is definitely better than the TV show. I just think it would have been more exciting and mysterious if Emma narrated the story rather than Sutton.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. I kind of agree with you that it would be better if Emma narrated the story but I understand why the author had Sutton narrate the story because of the memory splashes she sometimes has.

      Delete
    3. Hmm, that is definitely true! Without Sutton narrating, you would lose some of the plot!

      Delete